2.11.2009

Beatty's Chocolate Cake

photo by Esme McClear

Last week my sister sent me an e-mail that said this:

I just ate an amazing cake my friend Jenny made.

Honestly, I'm always skeptical when people tell me about a cake that they really liked. People get excited about cake. I get excited about cake (mmmm…cake). Cakes have so much potential, but, really, most of the time I just end-up being disappointed by them. More often than not, for me, cake does not live up to its hype. So, when I finally got my hands on a piece of this so-called amazing cake, I wasn’t expecting much. I took a bite before I ate dinner, just to try it, and then I took another taste, and another, and then proceeded to eat the whole thing! It was really good. It's a very tasty chocolate cake and, like I said, I'm a bit of a cake snob! It does have a very slight coffee taste, but you don't notice it after the first bite. I hate the taste of coffee and I was pretty much licking the plate!

The recipe originally came from the Ina Garten's book Barefoot Contessa at Home, but Jenny found it on pete bakes. You can view the complete recipe on Pete's Web site by clicking here. Pete's version is a bit different, so it's fun to view his pics as well!

Jenny made some slight changes to the recipe, which you can find below. Thanks to Esme for taking the beautiful picture!
  • For the cocoa powder, I used half hot chocolate and cocoa powder.
  • I added hazelnuts, toasted them, crushed them, mixed them with sugar and cinnamon, and then pressed the mess to the sides.
  • I used canola oil instead of veg oil, but I don't think that would make a difference.

6 comments:

veggievixen said...

i get really excited about cake. the combination of hazelnut, coffee and chocolate sounds amazing!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm.... looks really delicious! Wanna make me one? ;-p

Mushka said...

Your blog looks amazing, I often enjoy a little bit of cake, but not any cake, it has to be THE cake.
Great Aprons, loved it!

Anonymous said...

Great call with adding the toasted hazelnuts and spice. Sounds extra delicious to me when done that way.

Cakebrain said...

yeah! that's the same recipe I use all the time for my chocolate cake layers and cupcakes! it's so easy and never fails!

Donna-FFW said...

Love the combination of flavors here, coffee, hazelnits and chocolate.Oh so yes!! Looks beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...