7.09.2010

Spaghetti Ice Cream

Am I the only one that didn't know that ice cream shaped like spaghetti is like...a thing...in Germany? Yep, that's right. It's called spaghettieis (spaghetti ice) and it's not really noodles, but ice cream that has been pressed through a spaetzle press. To assemble, simply place the "noodles" over whipped cream, add strawberry sauce instead of tomato sauce and replace the cheese with white chocolate, coconut, or grated almonds and voila, you have spaghettieis. When I first saw it, I thought it was just another fondant-covered novelty dish, but I was wrong! It's actually well-known dessert in Germany and has been around since the 1960s! Want to try making it yourself? Click here for a recipe.

[Photo by Christian Cable]

15 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

oh yes I've heard about this and yes at first I thought it was some kind of crazy spaghetti flavour ice cream! So relieved to know that it's just about the shape! :P

Carolyn Jung said...

Uh no, you're not the only one. I didn't know about this, either. Oh man, this is crazy fun looking. I bet it was a delight to eat, too.

Sarah Coggrave said...

This looks pretty awesome!

x

shaz said...

How cool. I totally go for novelty looking stuff, thanks for bringing this onto my radar :)

tytty said...

it's missing something hmm meatballs!

Aaron John said...

OMG!! This is the perfect excuse to eat ice cream for dinner!! haha. Love it!
Would you mind checking out my blog? :D http://ajscookingsecrets.blogspot.com/

Marisa said...

This looks so cool! Definitely a show-stopper.

Unknown said...

That looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

How funny! I JUST made spaghetti & meatball cupcakes last night!!! Here's the link I used:
http://www.kitchendaily.com/2010/06/21/on-top-of-spaghetti-cupcakes/

Jenny said...

That is really cool... and cute too! :)

dessert girl said...

Thanks for the link, Tanya!

MB said...

That really grosses me out, I don't think I could bring myself to eat it!!

TheSweetestVegan said...

I get a kick out of sweet foods that look savory.

Anonymous said...

For all of you that haven't had it...it is amazing!This is the ONLY ice cream my mom will ever eat, she said if she could have it imported from germany she would be too happy :)

Cheryl said...

I saw this dessert in Germany and fell in love with it! I liked it so much that I decided to recreate it. It was so easy! Here is how I made it, http://www.cherylstyle.com/blog/2011/7/6/stay-cool-with-spaghetti-ice-cream.aspx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...