6.08.2009

BabyCakes: Vegan, Gluten Free, and Yummy!

I'm a big defender of vegan baking. Even though I'm not actually vegan, I've eaten my fair share of vegan baked goods during my lifetime, and I think they get a bad rap!! People hear vegan and dessert in the same sentence and instantly think yuck! That's why I'm super excited that that successful vegan bakery BabyCakes has a new cookbook out! Not only have they managed to convince dairy lovers to eat vegan cupcakes, but they managed to do it while keeping their bakery wheat free, casein free, refined-sugar free, gluten free, soy free, organic, AND kosher!! These baked goods are virtually guilt free! But, because of all the substitutions necessary to make these particular desserts, you may be a little perplexed once you read the ingredient lists. Garbanzo bean flour, coconut flour, and xanthan gum, among other things, pop up frequently in this cookbook, but fear not, most ingredients are available at your local health food store or at Whole Foods.

So, I know what you're thinking, with all those weird ingredients, how do these desserts taste?? Well, my sister recently made the chocolate chip cookie sandwiches (see pic above), and, let me tell you, they were really good! They definitely had a unique flavor. Not bad, just unique, and the coconut flour did give them a very slight coconut taste, so if you hate coconut, be forewarned. All in all, I'm anxious to try something else from the cookbook. It's like every recipe is a little baking adventure!

A video on how to make the sandwiches, along with the recipe, can be found at Martha Stewart's Web site, right here.

If you live in New York and want to try some vegan yumminess (you know who you are!) head on over to BabyCakes in NYC. A Los Angeles location will be opening soon. If you'd like to order online, click here.

7 comments:

veggievixen said...

i am so in love with that cookbook! the brownies are over the top. these little ice cream sammies are awesome as well.

Unknown said...

Um, okay, I don't want to be a wet blanket, but I have been working two blocks from BabyCakes for 6 months. Their coffee is excellent and their workforce is young, friendly and pretty. So far so good. But I've got to say, I've tried about four different baked items and they range from "different" to Godawful.
For me, baked goods are a comfort food, an indulgence, and they should taste appropriately.
However, I do not have food allergies, so I can understand, I guess, wanting some sort of facsimile...but it isn't....

Who makes downer comments on a dessert blog? Me, I guess. I just learned something lame about myself. Please...enjoy.

Jennifer said...

OH how I wish I was near their!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I've seen this book and look forward to adding it to my collection someday. :)

To Don, I say, maybe you just haven't tried the *right* animal-free baked good yet. I admit, not all vegan desserts are as scrumptious as their "regular" counterparts, but I personally have been lucky enough to bake some very yummy, indulgent treats that had even my omnivorous friends and family saying, "Mmmmmm!" ;)

Tres Jolie Studios said...

I lived with several vegans in collage and I would have loved to have had this recipe!!

dessert girl said...

Jenn, yeah, I agree. Vegan treats can be really awesome! Some of my favorite desserts are vegan, but I think that most of those just happen to be vegan, like no-bake cookies. Yum!! I guess not all desserts can be converted so easily, but there are good ones out there.

sissie said...

Hi Erin,

Did Mary Beth really make the coconut cookies? Your Aunt Jean HATES coconut. Your Mom & I like it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...