4.16.2010

Blast From the Past: Party Sandwich Loaf

Now that Spring is here and picnic season has officially started, I thought it was a great time to share these fun party sandwich loafs that would be perfect for your next picnic/outdoor get together. I will warn you, though, if you ever encounter one of these loafs at a party, please know that although it may look like a delicious cake, it is far from it! A fact that I was actually pleased to discover after spending some disturbing moments wondering what naughty person ruined a perfectly good cake by covering it with olives! I was in fact quite relived to discover that what I thought was dessert was actually a giant sandwich masquerading as a cake.

While it is true that this loaf does have a cream cheese frosting, you won't find chocolate creme inside. What you will see is egg salad, ham, avocados, celery, tomatoes, mayonnaise, and French dressing, among other ingredients. Okay, I'll admit it, the sandwich loaf doesn't exactly make my mouth water, but it is filled with kitschy goodness. A friend of mine recently made one for a get together and I was completely fascinated by it, even though I don't eat meat! Besides, vegetarians can always swap in fake meat, instead, if they want to give it a whirl or make one with only veggies. Check out some more sandwich loaf options below. [Thanks John and Sadie!] {image above by Eartha Kitsch}

Party Sandwich Loaf by Betty Crocker


image courtesy of Lissy Friedman


image courtesy of tyty

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, the sandwich loaf. Just looking at those photos again makes my stomach ache a little. :) It was kind of fun to make though. I hope that this tradition can be revived. Well, not the recipe that I made but maybe some OTHER ones.

Carolyn Jung said...

I think I've only seen these in old magazines and cookbooks. I don't believe I've had the pleasure of experiencing one, myself. What I love is that they just evoke a sense of another time and place, back when ladies lunched and afternoons seemed endless.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Hehe great minds! They do something similar in Sweden called sandwich cake and I was going to make one this week! :D

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

They look so pretty and dainty in a kind of Victorian way. Very interesting!

Cheers,

Rosa

dessert girl said...

Lorraine: Ha, ha! That's too funny! I can't wait to see your version!

the decorated cookie said...

Love this collection! I posted a link to your roundup at ediblecrafts.craftgossip.com. Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...